Re: UUID v7

От Aleksander Alekseev
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Re: UUID v7
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> Postgres always was a bit hackerish, allowing slightly more then is safe. I.e. you can define immutable function that
isnot really immutable, turn off autovacuum or fsync. Why bother with safety guards here?
> My opinion is that we should have this function to extract timestamp. Even if it can return strange values for
impreciseRFC implementation.

Completely agree.

Users that don't like or don't need it can pretend there are no
uuid_extract_time() and uuidv7(T) in Postgres. If we don't provide
them however, users that need them will end up writing their own
probably buggy and not compatible implementations. That would be much
worse.

> So +1 for erroring when you provide a timestamp outside of that range
> (either too far in the past or too far in the future).
>
> OK, it seems like we have some consensus on ERRORing..
>
> Do we have any other open items? Does v13 address all open items? Maybe let’s compose better error message?
>
> +1 for erroring when ts is outside range.
>
> v13 looks good for me. I think we have reached a optimal compromise.

Andrey, many thanks for the updated patch.

LGTM, cfbot is happy and I don't think we have any open items left. So
changing CF entry status back to RfC.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: remaining sql/json patches
От: Matthias van de Meent
Сообщение: Re: Add bump memory context type and use it for tuplesorts