Seeking Guidance on Using Valgrind in PostgreSQL for Detecting Memory Leaks in Extension Code

От Pradeep Kumar
Тема Seeking Guidance on Using Valgrind in PostgreSQL for Detecting Memory Leaks in Extension Code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Postgres Hackers,

I am writing to seek your guidance and utilization of Valgrind in PostgreSQL for detecting memory leaks in extension-related code. Recently, I have been exploring ways to improve the stability and performance of PostgreSQL extensions by addressing memory-related issues, specifically memory leaks.
I have come across Valgrind, a tool for detecting memory errors, leaks, and other memory-related problems in C/C++ programs. However, I am in need of some guidance on how to effectively use Valgrind within the context of PostgreSQL and extensions.

I request your assistance in providing insights on the following:

1. Steps for utilizing Valgrind in PostgreSQL:
   - How do I install Valgrind and integrate it with PostgreSQL?
   - Are there any specific configurations or flags that need to be set for optimal usage with PostgreSQL?

2. Techniques for detecting memory leaks in extension-related code:
   - What are the recommended approaches for exercising extension code with Valgrind?
   - Are there any specific considerations or best practices to keep in mind when analyzing Valgrind's output for memory leaks in extension code?

I would appreciate any resources, instructions, or insights you can provide regarding the above points.

Thanks and regards,
Pradeep