Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys

От Amit Khandekar
Тема Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 at 00:06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 2019-May-23, Andres Freund wrote:

onlylogical) on standby. So online change from logical to replica wal_level is possible on standby's controlfile.

> > > That's true, but Amit's scenario involved a change in wal_level during
> > > the execution of pg_create_logical_replication_slot(), which I think
> > > can't happen.
> >
> > I don't see why not - we're talking about the wal_level in the WAL
> > stream, not the setting on the standby. And that can change during the
> > execution of pg_create_logical_replication_slot(), if a PARAMTER_CHANGE
> > record is replayed. I don't think it's actually a problem, as I
> > outlined in my response to Amit, though.
>
> I don't know if this is directly relevant, but in commit_ts.c we go to
> great lengths to ensure that things continue to work across restarts and
> changes of the GUC in the primary, by decoupling activation and
> deactivation of the module from start-time initialization.  Maybe that
> idea is applicable for this too?

We do kind of handle change in wal_level differently at run-time
versus at initialization. E.g. we drop the existing slots if the
wal_level becomes less than logical. But I think we don't have to do a
significant work unlike how it seems to have been done in
ActivateCommitTs when commit_ts is activated.

> --
> Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar