Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-May-23, Andres Freund wrote:

> > > But primary can be restarted without restart on standby. We require wal_level replica or highter (currently only
logical)on standby. So online change from logical to replica wal_level is possible on standby's controlfile.

> > That's true, but Amit's scenario involved a change in wal_level during
> > the execution of pg_create_logical_replication_slot(), which I think
> > can't happen.
>
> I don't see why not - we're talking about the wal_level in the WAL
> stream, not the setting on the standby. And that can change during the
> execution of pg_create_logical_replication_slot(), if a PARAMTER_CHANGE
> record is replayed. I don't think it's actually a problem, as I
> outlined in my response to Amit, though.

I don't know if this is directly relevant, but in commit_ts.c we go to
great lengths to ensure that things continue to work across restarts and
changes of the GUC in the primary, by decoupling activation and
deactivation of the module from start-time initialization.  Maybe that
idea is applicable for this too?