Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Some Developer
<someukdeveloper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/07/13 14:21, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>>
>> I find stored procedures to be a God-send.  The alternative, external
>> code, is the risky, difficult and often poorer performing approach to the
>> problems sp's solve.   What better way to interact programatically with your
>> database than WITH your database?
>>
>> The only people that I see frown upon them don't understand them, are
>> afraid of them, and so find ways to justify their views about them in
>> negative terms.  I suppose that's human nature.  But once they get "turned
>> on" to stored procedures, their views change.
>>
>> As for selling sp's to them, especially if they are management, there's
>> nothing more convincing than a demo.  And a real good way to demo their
>> effectiveness is through a remote connection, preferrably across a time zone
>> or two, where the task involves many (hundreds of thousands) of queries that
>> the external script would have to do one at a time, over the net.  The sp
>> would just run them inside as part of the sp call, locally, in a tiny
>> fraction of the time.

plpgsql is generally the fastest/easiest language for a certain (but
important) class of operations. it runs closer to the SQL execution
engine and automatically plans all your queries (which can be a pretty
big deal for certain types of coding).  all error handling is native
(so that you don't have to catch a python exception and peek into the
sql aspects of it for appropriate handling) which is a bigger deal
than it appears on the surface.  also it's good to exercise your SQL
skills.

whichever way you go, good procedure practices generally involve
approximating scripted SQL to the extent possible.   also you should
separate routines that read from and write to the database (and try to
keep as much code as possible in the read side).  make sure to mark
routines immutable/stable as appropriate.   another underutilized
function decoration is STRICT -- it's very fast when it fires and can
save you a lot of debugging headaches.

merlin