Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/24/2013 06:31 AM, Some Developer wrote:

> Thank you all for the responses. I feel better about making use of them
> now.
>
> Now for one final question: I was planning on using plpython2u to write
> my stored procedures since Python is a language I am very familiar with.
> I understand that many people would want to use plpgsql instead but
> it'll be quicker for me to do it in Python.
>
> Will there be much of a performance difference between the two at all?
> Are there any very convincing arguments that will make me use plpgsql
> instead or does it not really matter?

I have faced this choice also. What I found is that plpgsql tends to be
more succinct for doing database operations, probably by virtue of being
an 'extended' sql. plpythonu has developed more capabilities over time
but there is still a translation portion, Python --> SQL --> Python. You
will find that you will end up using both.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Сообщение: Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?
Сообщение: Re: Why are stored procedures looked on so negatively?