Re: [ADMIN] pg_backrest no longer backing up

От Aldo Sarmiento
Тема Re: [ADMIN] pg_backrest no longer backing up
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi David,

Actually got it figured out. Main thing is that I should clarify that the aforementioned crontab was irrelevant since I was looking at the replica.

Once logged into master, the crontab is intact and uncommented. The problem was that a backup failed and pg_backrest was failing to start.

I tried adding auto-stop=true to conf, but it didn't help. In the end I just did pg_stop_backup() and things are running smoothly now.

As for the upgrade, yes that's a need we have. Just trying to see if we can migrate our current backups to work with the new version so we don't lose ability for PITR.

Thanks!

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:18 PM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
Hi Aldo,

On 3/8/17 11:48 AM, Aldo Sarmiento wrote:

> Sometime in December in 2016 we ran out of space for our backup
> directory, which we increased promptly. However, it appears that
> backrest stopped taking backups since the incident.
>
> Versions of things:
>
> pg_backrest 0.75

This is an incredibly old, pre-1.0 version of pgBackRest. I suggest you
upgrade to a current version.  1.X will not be compatible with your
current repo so it will need to be a fresh install.

> *postgres@pgdedicated:/backup/backrest/log$ cat
> prod-9.4-backup-20170308.log*
> -------------------PROCESS START-------------------
> 2017-03-08 01:30:02.034 T00   INFO: backup start: type = diff
> 2017-03-08 01:30:02.835 T00   INFO: last backup label =
> 20161204-025729F, version = 0.75
> 2017-03-08 01:30:02.911 T00   INFO: executing pg_start_backup() with
> label "pg_backrest backup started 2017-03-08 01:30:02": backup will
> begin after the requested immediate checkpoint completes
> 2017-03-08 01:30:02.976 T00  ERROR: process terminated on signal or
> exception, 0 threads stopped

This could be any number of things and there's not enough information
given here to even begin to guess.

> Question: Not sure when the backrest cron was commented out, but how is
> it still attempting to do backups without this setup? I'm assuming it's
> being invoked some other way?

I'm guessing it's being invoked in some other way, perhaps the postgres
user's crontab?

> Also, any idea what the issue is with the error?

Again, there's not enough information given for me to form an opinion.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net