Re: File based Incremental backup v8

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Re: File based Incremental backup v8
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Robert,

By the way, unless I'm missing something, this patch only seems to
include the code to construct an incremental backup, but no tools
whatsoever to do anything useful with it once you've got it.

As stated previously, Marco is writing a tool called pg_restorebackup (the prototype in Python has been already posted) to be included in the core. I am in Australia now and not in the office so I cannot confirm it, but I am pretty sure he had already written it and was about to send it to the list.

He's been trying to find more data - see the one that he's sent - in order to convince that even a file-based approach is useful.

  I think that's 100% unacceptable.

I agree, that's why pg_restorebackup written in C is part of this patch. See: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Incremental_backup

Users need to be able to manipulate
PostgreSQL backups using either standard operating system tools or
tools provided with PostgreSQL.  Some people may prefer to use
something like repmgr or pitrtools or omniptr in addition, but that
shouldn't be a requirement for incremental backup to be usable.

Not at all. I believe those tools will have to use pg_basebackup and pg_restorebackup. If they want to use streaming replication protocol they will be responsible to make sure that - if the protocol changes - they adapt their technology.

Agile development is good, but that does not mean you can divide a big
project into arbitrarily small chunks.  At some point the chunks are
too small to be sure that the overall direction is right, and/or
individually useless.

The goal has always been to provide "file-based incremental backup". I can assure that this has always been our compass and the direction to follow.

I repeat that, using pg_restorebackup, this patch will transparently let users benefit from incremental backup even when it will be moved to an internal block-level logic. Users will continue to execute pg_basebackup and pg_restorebackup, ignoring that with - for example 9.5 - it is file-based (saving between 50-70% of space and time) of block level - for example 9.6.

My proposal is that Marco provides pg_restorebackup according to the initial plan - a matter of hours/days.

Cheers,
Gabriele