Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-03-07 16:43:15 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
> Semi-related... if we put some special handling in some places for bootstrap
> mode, couldn't most catalog objects be created using SQL, once we got
> pg_class, pg_attributes and pg_type created? That would theoretically allow
> us to drive much more of initdb with plain SQL (possibly created via
> pg_dump).

Several people have now made that suggestion, but I *seriously* doubt
that we actually want to go there. The overhead of executing SQL
commands in comparison to the bki stuff is really rather
noticeable. Doing the majority of the large number of insertions via SQL
will make initdb noticeably slower. And it's already annoyingly
slow. Besides make install it's probably the thing I wait most for
during development.

That's besides the fact that SQL commands aren't actually that
comfortably editable in bulk.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services