Re: pg_receivexlog and feedback message

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: pg_receivexlog and feedback message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> pg_receivexlog doesn't currently fsync() after every write. It only
>>> fsync():s complete files. So we'd need to set ->flush only at the end
>>> of a segment, right?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Currently the status update is sent for each status interval. In sync
>> replication, transaction has to wait for a while even after pg_receivexlog
>> has written or flushed the WAL data.
>>
>> So we should add new option which specifies whether pg_receivexlog
>> sends the status packet back as soon as it writes or flushes the WAL
>> data, like the walreceiver does?
>
> That might be useful, but I think that's 9.3 material at this point.

Fair enough. That's new feature rather than a bugfix.

> But I think we can get the "set the write location" in as a bugfix.

Also "set the flush location"? Sending the flush location back seems
helpful when using pg_receivexlog for WAL archiving purpose. By
seeing the flush location we can ensure that WAL file has been archived
durably (IOW, WAL file has been flushed in remote archive area).

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao