Re: non-exclusive backup cleanup is mildly broken

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: non-exclusive backup cleanup is mildly broken
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 12:19 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 6:40 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> > So that's how you prevent piling up multiple registrations of this
> > callback compared to v1.  FWIW, I think that it is a cleaner approach
> > to remove the callback once a non-exclusive backup is done, because a
> > session has no need for it once it is done with its non-exclusive
> > backup, and this session may remain around for some time.
>
> The fact that the session may remain around for some time isn't really
> relevant, because the callback isn't consuming any resources. It does
> not increase memory usage by a single byte, nor CPU consumption
> either. It does consume a few CPU cycles when the backend finally
> exits, but the number of such cycles is very small and unrelated to
> the length of the session. And removing the callback isn't entirely
> free, either.
>
> I think the real point for me is that it's bad to have two sources of
> truth. We have the sessionBackupState variable that tells us whether
> we're in a backup, and then we separately have whether or not the
> callback is registered. If those two things ever get out of sync, as
> they do in the test cases that I've proposed, then we have problems --
> so it's better not to maintain the state in two separate ways.
>
> The way it's set up right now actually seems quite fragile even apart
> from the problem with cancel_before_shmem_exit(). do_pg_stop_backup()
> sets sessionBackupState to SESSION_BACKUP_NONE and then does things
> that might fail. If they do, then the cancel_before_shmem_exit()
> callback will leave the callback installed, which can lead to a
> spurious warning or assertion failure later as in the original report.
> The only way to avoid that problem would be to move the
> cancel_before_shmem_exit() callback so that it happens right next to
> setting sessionBackupState to SESSION_BACKUP_NONE -- note the comments
> there saying we can't even do WALInsertLockRelease() between updating
> XLogCtl and updating sessionBackupState. But that would be very ugly,
> because we'd then have to pass a flag to do_pg_stop_backup() saying
> whether to remove the callback, since only one caller wants that
> behavior.
>
> And, we'd have to change cancel_before_shmem_exit() to search the
> whole array, which would almost certainly cost more cycles than
> leaving a do-nothing callback around.

If pg_abort_backup callback function can be called safely even when
the backup is not in progress, we can just use the global variable like
pg_abort_backup_registered to register the callback function only
on first call. In this way, cancel_before_shmem_exit() doesn't need to
search the array to get rid of the function.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao