Re: replication_timeout does not seem to be working

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: replication_timeout does not seem to be working
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:11 AM, A J <s5aly@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am still not clear. Can you explain what replication_timeout parameter
> accomplishes and when ?

If no reply is returned from the standby in replication_timeout, the
master thinks
that the connected standby is inactive, and terminates the replication
connection.
This is useful for the master to detect a standby crash or network outage.

> Basically I wish my synchronous write transaction to not wait indefinitely
> when the synchronous standby servers are not available. But rather a
> response returned back to client that write could not be successful, after
> trying for 'n' seconds. How can that be accomplished ?

There is no parameter for that purpose. You would need to implement
something like the monitor daemon which disable synchronous replication
when it detects a standby crash or network outage.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center