Re: 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Evan Rempel <erempel@uvic.ca> wrote:
> On 02/18/2016 01:53 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

>>> Uh, wouldn't the cluster name be the same on every line?  Is that
>>> useful?
>>
>> I guess if you were running multiple clusters and having them all log
>> to the same syslog daemon, there might be multiple clusters' output
>> in the same log ... but we already have ways to disambiguate that case,
>> ie, syslog_ident.  Likewise for Windows' event log.  I don't think we
>> should consider it supported for multiple clusters to be logging into
>> the same plain files.  So yeah, the use case for this seems unclear.
>>
>>                         regards, tom lane
>

> The use case is for logging to syslog.
>
> Using the syslog_ident effectively changes the "program name" to something
> other than postgres. This would break any type of SIEM system that would be
> looking for events from the program postgres. This means that if you want to
> have a cluster specific contextual identifier, it needs to be in the log
> message content, which for the purposes of postgresql means placing it into
> the log_line_prefix.
>
> It could be hard coded as part of the log_line_prefix such as
>
> log_line_prefix = 'cluster-db1:%d:%u:%h '
>
> That would work, but that means that my cluster name needs to be in the
> configuration file twice and that opens up the error scenario of not making
> them exactly the same.
>
> Allowing for the cluster_name to be referenced by an escape sequence would
> make manual and automated configuration management easier.

What if log_destination is set to csvlog? The same cluster_name is
output in every lines, and there is no way to disable it because
something like csv_line_prefix has not been supported yet?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao

Сообщение: Re: ANALYZE'ing table hierarchies
Сообщение: Re: ANALYZE'ing table hierarchies