Re: [HACKERS] On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...

От Kang Yuzhe
Тема Re: [HACKERS] On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thanks Alvaro for taking your time and pointing me to "Developer_FAQ". I knew this web page and there is good stuff int it.
The most important about "Developer_FAQ" which I believe is that it lists vital books for PG developers.

Comparing the real challenge I am facing in finding my way in the rabbit role(the PG source code), "Developer_FAQ" is indeed less useful.

Of course, I am a beginner and I am just beginning and one day I hope with your support I will figure out to find my space in PG development.

My question is why is that there is a lot of hands-on about PG application development(eg. connecting to PG using JAVA/JDBC) but almost nothing about PG hacking hands-on lessons. For example, I wanna add the keyword "Encrypted" in CREATE TABLE t1(a int, b int encrypted) or CREATE TABLE t1(a int, b int) encrypted. Alas, its not easy task.

Regards,
Zeray

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Craig Ringer wrote:

> Personally I have to agree that the learning curve is very steep. Some
> of the docs and presentations help, but there's a LOT to understand.

There is a wiki page "Developer_FAQ" which is supposed to help answer
these questions.  It is currently not very useful, because people
stopped adding to it very early and is now mostly unmaintained, but
I'm sure it could become a very useful central resource for this kind of
information.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/