Re: Proposal: Adding json logging

От David Arnold
Тема Re: Proposal: Adding json logging
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Does everyone more or less agree with the following intermediate résumé?

1. Throughout this vivid discussion a good portion of support has already been manifested for the need of a more structured (machine readable) logging format. There has been no substantial objection to this need.

2. It has been proposed one JSON object per logging event and alternatively or complementary one logfmt object per event (although with much less resonance).

3. Doubts about space have been addressed by the following arguments:
- Data is short lived, as most likely consumed directly without much of a persistence
- GZIP compression could easily lift space requirements to a near deduplicacion format's requirements.

4. Doubts about standard conformance are still ongoing discussion, however there seems not to be in existence yet the ultimate logging standard which addresses all the shortcomings of existing approaches in an pareto optimal way. It's most likely something that requires a compromise or options for the user to choose from.

I hope this is a truthful account of the current state about this thread.

I'd propose, in order to move forward, to wait during a "call for objections" of a one week period until next Friday if there are any substantial objections to the direction of this discussion.

Afterwards, I'd like to get, hopefully not alone, some hands dirty.

I hope that's ok for everyone, please let me know if you think this mail is not a legitimate intention to take a step forward.

Best Regards, David Arnold