Re: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication

От Nitin Motiani
Тема Re: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 3:30 PM Nitin Motiani <nitinmotiani@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 3:25 PM Nitin Motiani <nitinmotiani@google.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I tried the 'DROP PUBLICATION' command even for a publication with a
> > > single table. And there also the data continues to get replicated.
> > >
> > > To test this, I did a similar experiment as the above but instead of
> > > creating publication on all tables, I did it for one specific table.
> > >
> > > Here are the steps :
> > > 1. Create table test_1 and test_2 on both the publisher and subscriber
> > > instances.
> > > 2. Create publication p for table test_1 on the publisher.
> > > 3. Create a subscription s which subscribes to p.
> > > 4. On the publisher
> > > 4a) Session 1 : BEGIN; INSERT INTO test_1 VALUES(val1);
> > > 4b) Session 2 : DROP PUBLICATION p;
> > > 4c) Session 1 : Commit;
> > > 5. On the publisher : INSERT INTO test_1 VALUES(val2);
> > >
> > > After these, when I check the subscriber, both val1 and val2 have been
> > > replicated. I tried a few more inserts on publisher after this and
> > > they all got replicated to the subscriber. Only after explicitly
> > > creating a new publication p2 for test_1 on the publisher, the
> > > replication stopped. Most likely because the create publication
> > > command invalidated the cache.
> > >
> > > My guess is that this issue probably comes from the fact that
> > > RemoveObjects in dropcmds.c doesn't do any special handling or
> > > invalidation for the object drop command.
> > >

> > I checked further and I see that RemovePublicationById does do cache
> > invalidation but it is only done in the scenario when the publication
> > is on all tables. This is done without taking any locks. But for the
> > other cases (eg. publication on one table), I don't see any cache
> > invalidation in RemovePublicationById. That would explain why the
> > replication kept happening for multiple transactions after the drop
> > publication command in my example..
> >

> Sorry, I missed that for the individual table scenario, the
> invalidation would happen in RemovePublicationRelById. That is
> invalidating the cache for all relids. But this is also not taking any
> locks. So that would explain why dropping the publication on a single
> table doesn't invalidate the cache in an ongoing transaction. I'm not
> sure why the replication kept happening even in subsequent
> transactions.
>
> Either way I think the SRE lock should be taken for all relids in that
> function also before the invalidations.

My apologies. I wasn't testing with the latest patch. I see this has
already been done in the v6 patch file.

Thanks & Regards
Nitin Motiani
Google

От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Re: Add mention of execution time memory for enable_partitionwise_* GUCs