Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

От Rahila Syed
Тема Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Дата
Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 8:53 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 8:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2021-Sep-04, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > Hmm, I think it would be cleanest to give responsibility to the user: if
> > > the column to be dropped is in the filter, then raise an error, aborting
> > > the drop.
> >
> > Do you think that will make sense if the user used Cascade (Alter
> > Table ... Drop Column ... Cascade)?
>
> ... ugh.  Since CASCADE is already defined to be a potentially-data-loss
> operation, then that may be acceptable behavior.  For sure the default
> RESTRICT behavior shouldn't do it, though.

That makes sense to me.

However, the default (RESTRICT) behaviour of DROP TABLE allows
removing the table from the publication. I have implemented the removal of table from publication
on drop column (RESTRICT)  on the same lines.

Although it does make sense to not allow dropping tables from publication, in case of RESTRICT.
It makes me wonder how DROP TABLE (RESTRICT) allows cascading the drop table to publication.

Did you give any thoughts to my earlier suggestion related to syntax [1]?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1J9b_0_PMnJ2jq9E55bcbmTKdUmy6jPnkf1Zwy2jxah_g%40mail.gmail.com

For future support to replicate all columns except (x,y,z), I think some optional keywords like
COLUMNS NOT IN can be inserted between table name and (*columns_list*) as follows.
ALTER PUBLICATION ADD TABLE tab_name [COLUMNS NOT IN] (x,y,z)
I think this should be possible as a future addition to proposed syntax in the patch.
Please let me know your opinion.

Thank you,
Rahila Syed