Re: index prefetching

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: index prefetching
Дата
Re: index prefetching  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 2:01 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On 2/7/24 22:48, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> I admit I haven't thought about kill_prior_tuple until you pointed out.
> Yeah, prefetching separates (de-synchronizes) the two scans (index and
> heap) in a way that prevents this optimization. Or at least makes it
> much more complex :-(

Another thing that argues against doing this is that we might not need
to visit any more B-Tree leaf pages when there is a LIMIT n involved.
We could end up scanning a whole extra leaf page (including all of its
tuples) for want of the ability to "push down" a LIMIT to the index AM
(that's not what happens right now, but it isn't really needed at all
right now).

This property of index scans is fundamental to how index scans work.
Pinning an index page as an interlock against concurrently TID
recycling by VACUUM is directly described by the index API docs [1],
even (the docs actually use terms like "buffer pin" rather than
something more abstract sounding). I don't think that anything
affecting that behavior should be considered an implementation detail
of the nbtree index AM as such (nor any particular index AM).

I think that it makes sense to put the index AM in control here --
that almost follows from what I said about the index AM API. The index
AM already needs to be in control, in about the same way, to deal with
kill_prior_tuple (plus it helps with the  LIMIT issue I described).

There doesn't necessarily need to be much code duplication to make
that work. Offhand I suspect it would be kind of similar to how
deletion of LP_DEAD-marked index tuples by non-nbtree index AMs gets
by with generic logic implemented by
index_compute_xid_horizon_for_tuples -- that's all that we need to
determine a snapshotConflictHorizon value for recovery conflict
purposes. Note that index_compute_xid_horizon_for_tuples() reads
*index* pages, despite not being aware of the caller's index AM and
index tuple format.

(The only reason why nbtree needs a custom solution is because it has
posting list tuples to worry about, unlike GiST and unlike Hash, which
consistently use unadorned generic IndexTuple structs with heap TID
represented in the standard/generic way only. While these concepts
probably all originated in nbtree, they're still not nbtree
implementation details.)

> > Having disabled kill_prior_tuple is why the mvcc test fails. Perhaps
> > there is an easier way to fix this, as I don't think the mvcc test
> > failed on Tomas' version.
> >

> I kinda doubt it worked correctly, considering I simply ignored the
> optimization. It's far more likely it just worked by luck.

The test that did fail will have only revealed that the
kill_prior_tuple wasn't operating as  expected -- which isn't the same
thing as giving wrong answers.

Note that there are various ways that concurrent TID recycling might
prevent _bt_killitems() from setting LP_DEAD bits. It's totally
unsurprising that breaking kill_prior_tuple in some way could be
missed. Andres wrote the MVCC test in question precisely because
certain aspects of kill_prior_tuple were broken for months without
anybody noticing.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/index-locking.html
--
Peter Geoghegan