Re: index prefetching

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: index prefetching
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-02-13 14:54:14 -0500, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> This property of index scans is fundamental to how index scans work.
> Pinning an index page as an interlock against concurrently TID
> recycling by VACUUM is directly described by the index API docs [1],
> even (the docs actually use terms like "buffer pin" rather than
> something more abstract sounding). I don't think that anything
> affecting that behavior should be considered an implementation detail
> of the nbtree index AM as such (nor any particular index AM).

Given that the interlock is only needed for non-mvcc scans, that non-mvcc
scans are rare due to catalog accesses using snapshots these days and that
most non-mvcc scans do single-tuple lookups, it might be viable to be more
restrictive about prefetching iff non-mvcc snapshots are in use and to use
method of cleanup that allows multiple pages to be cleaned up otherwise.

However, I don't think we would necessarily have to relax the IAM pinning
rules, just to be able to do prefetching of more than one index leaf
page. Restricting prefetching to entries within a single leaf page obviously
has the disadvantage of not being able to benefit from concurrent IO whenever
crossing a leaf page boundary, but at the same time processing entries from
just two leaf pages would often allow for a sufficiently aggressive
prefetching.  Pinning a small number of leaf pages instead of a single leaf
page shouldn't be a problem.

One argument for loosening the tight coupling between kill_prior_tuples and
index scan progress is that the lack of kill_prior_tuples for bitmap scans is
quite problematic. I've seen numerous production issues with bitmap scans
caused by subsequent scans processing a growing set of dead tuples, where
plain index scans were substantially slower initially but didn't get much
slower over time.  We might be able to design a system where the bitmap
contains a certain number of back-references to the index, allowing later
cleanup if there weren't any page splits or such.

> I think that it makes sense to put the index AM in control here --
> that almost follows from what I said about the index AM API. The index
> AM already needs to be in control, in about the same way, to deal with
> kill_prior_tuple (plus it helps with the  LIMIT issue I described).

Depending on what "control" means I'm doubtful:

Imo there are decisions influencing prefetching that an index AM shouldn't
need to know about directly, e.g. how the plan shape influences how many
tuples are actually going to be consumed. Of course that determination could
be made in planner/executor and handed to IAMs, for the IAM to then "control"
the prefetching.

Another aspect is that *long* term I think we want to be able to execute
different parts of the plan tree when one part is blocked for IO. Of course
that's not always possible. But particularly with partitioned queries it often
is.  Depending on the form of "control" that's harder if IAMs are in control,
because control flow needs to return to the executor to be able to switch to a
different node, so we can't wait for IO inside the AM.

There probably are ways IAMs could be in "control" that would be compatible
with such constraints however.

Greetings,

Andres Freund