Re: [HACKERS] The case for removing replacement selection sort

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] The case for removing replacement selection sort
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I think we should remove the replacement_sort_tuples GUC, and kill
>> replacement selection entirely. There is no need to do this for
>> Postgres 10. I don't feel very strongly about it. It just doesn't make
>> sense to continue to support replacement selection.
>
> Forgive me if I missed the explanation, but how will we handle bounded sorts?

No change there at all. If anything they will probably be slightly
faster, because the heap management routines don't have to work with a
special heap comparator that compares run number, but only when
replacement selection is in use.

--
Peter Geoghegan