Re: [HACKERS] Documentation improvements for partitioning

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Documentation improvements for partitioning
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Documentation improvements for partitioning  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> What claims are you talking about? Which things have been exaggerated,
> and by whom?

* The specious argument that we should "just" have CREATE INDEX create
equivalent indexes across partitions, to save all those people from
writing all those scripts.

The reality is that there are several ways that that would not comport
with the existing design of things. Most obviously: where does that
leave the design of global indexes that we eventually come up with?
Now, maybe there is a good way to make this easier for users, worth
doing sooner rather than later, but that will be subtle, and you
should at least acknowledge that.

* "It leaves me asking what else is missing"... "If we wanted them to
act identically we wouldn't have any need for a new feature at all, so
clearly that doesn't make sense as an argument."

These remarks sound imperious to me. I think that this could be quite
demoralizing to someone in Amit's position, and you ought to give some
consideration to that. I think that several of your remarks on the
patch are facile and/or needlessly ambiguous, which is what makes this
lack of tact seem unfair to me.

* "Good work so far, but there is still a very significant amount of
work to do."

There is always more work to do, so why say so? I think that the
implication is that this isn't complete as a feature that goes into
the next release, which I disagree with. There is nothing
disappointing to me about this feature, and, as I said, I am
unsurprised that it doesn't support certain things.

--
Peter Geoghegan