Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 2:22 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I agree with this, and I'm mostly OK with having hash_mem. In fact, from
> > the proposals in this thread I like it the most - as long as it's used
> > both during planning and execution. It's a pretty clear solution.
>
> Great.
>
> It's not trivial to write the patch, since there are a few tricky
> cases. For example, maybe there is some subtlety in nodeAgg.c with
> AGG_MIXED cases.

Attached is an attempt at this. I have not been particularly thorough,
since it is still not completely clear that the hash_mem proposal has
a serious chance of resolving the "many users rely on hashagg
exceeding work_mem, regardless of whether or not that is the intended
behavior in Postgres 12" problem. But at least we have a patch now,
and so have some idea of how invasive this will have to be. We also
have something to test.

Note that I created a new open item for this "maybe we need something
like a hash_mem GUC now" problem today. To recap, this thread started
out being a discussion about the enable_hashagg_disk GUC, which seems
like a distinct problem to me. It won't make much sense to return to
discussing the original problem before we have a solution to this
other problem (the problem that I propose to address by inventing
hash_mem).

About the patch:

The patch adds hash_mem, which is just another work_mem-like GUC that
the patch has us use in certain cases -- cases where the work area is
a hash table (but not when it's a sort, or some kind of bitset, or
anything else). I still think that the new GUC should work as a
multiplier of work_mem, or something else along those lines, though
for now it's just an independent work_mem used for hashing. I bring it
up again because I'm concerned about users that upgrade to Postgres 13
incautiously, and find that hashing uses *less* memory than before.
Many users probably get away with setting work_mem quite high across
the board. At the very least, hash_mem should be ignored when it's set
to below work_mem (which isn't what the patch does).

It might have made more sense to call the new GUC hash_work_mem
instead of hash_mem. I don't feel strongly about the name. Again, this
is just a starting point for further discussion.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Вложения