Re: relpages of btree indexes are not truncating even after deletingall the tuples from table and doing vacuum

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: relpages of btree indexes are not truncating even after deletingall the tuples from table and doing vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 11:05 AM Mahendra Singh <mahi6run@gmail.com> wrote:
> From above example, we can see that after deleting all the tuples from table and firing vacuum command, size of table
isreduced but size of index relation is same as before vacuum.

VACUUM is only able to make existing empty pages in indexes recyclable
by future page splits within the same index. It is not possible for it
to reclaim space for the filesystem. Workload characteristics tend to
determine whether or not this limitation is truly important.

You can observe which pages are "free" in this sense (i.e. whether
they've been placed by the FSM for recycling) by using
contrib/pg_freespacemap.

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: Ashwin Agrawal
Сообщение: Re: Should we rename amapi.h and amapi.c?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: unsupportable composite type partition keys