Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Mark Dilger
<mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> That's fine by me, but I was under the impression that people wanted the extraneous noise removed.

A NOTICE message is supposed to be surfaced to clients (but not stored
in the server log), pretty much by definition.

It's not unreasonable to argue that I was mistaken to ever think that
about this particular message. In fact, I suspect that I was.

> Since pg_amcheck can know the command is going to draw a "you can't check that right now" type message, one might
arguethat it is drawing these notices for no particular benefit.

But technically it *was* checked. That's how I think of it, at least.
If a replica comes out of recovery, and we run pg_amcheck immediately
afterwards, are we now "checking it for real"? I don't think that
distinction is meaningful.

> Somebody could quite reasonably complain about this on a hot standby with millions of unlogged relations.  Actual
ERRORmessages might get lost in all the noise.

That's a good point.

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: Mark Dilger
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations
От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations