Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Oct 11, 2021, at 11:12 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
>
> What's the problem with just having pg_amcheck pass through the notice
> to the user, without it affecting anything else? Why should a simple
> notice message need to affect its return code, or anything else?

That's fine by me, but I was under the impression that people wanted the extraneous noise removed.  Since pg_amcheck
canknow the command is going to draw a "you can't check that right now" type message, one might argue that it is
drawingthese notices for no particular benefit.  Somebody could quite reasonably complain about this on a hot standby
withmillions of unlogged relations.  Actual ERROR messages might get lost in all the noise.

It's true that these NOTICEs do not change the return code.  I was thinking about the ERRORs we get on failed lock
acquisition,but that is unrelated.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company