Why doesn't GiST VACUUM require a super-exclusive lock, like nbtree VACUUM?

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Why doesn't GiST VACUUM require a super-exclusive lock, like nbtree VACUUM?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The code in gistvacuum.c is closely based on similar code in nbtree.c,
except that it only acquires an exclusive lock -- not a
super-exclusive lock. I suspect that that's because it seemed
unnecessary; nbtree plain index scans have their own special reasons
for this, that don't apply to GiST. Namely: nbtree plain index scans
that don't use an MVCC snapshot clearly need some other interlock to
protect against concurrent recycling of pointed-to-by-leaf-page TIDs.
And so as a general rule nbtree VACUUM needs a full
super-exclusive/cleanup lock, just in case there is a plain index scan
that uses some other kind of snapshot (logical replication, say).

To say the same thing another way: nbtree follows "the third rule"
described by "62.4. Index Locking Considerations" in the docs [1], but
GiST does not. The idea that GiST's behavior is okay here does seem
consistent with what the same docs go on to say about it: "When using
an MVCC-compliant snapshot, there is no problem because the new
occupant of the slot is certain to be too new to pass the snapshot
test".

But what about index-only scans, which GiST also supports? I think
that the rules are different there, even though index-only scans use
an MVCC snapshot.

The (admittedly undocumented) reason why we can never drop the leaf
page pin for an index-only scan in nbtree (but can do so for plain
index scans) also relates to heap interlocking -- but with a twist.
Here's the twist: the second heap pass by VACUUM can set visibility
map bits independently of the first (once LP_DEAD items from the first
pass over the heap are set to LP_UNUSED, which renders the page
all-visible) -- this all happens at the end of
lazy_vacuum_heap_page(). That's why index-only scans can't just assume
that VACUUM won't have deleted the TID from the leaf page they're
scanning immediately after they're done reading it. VACUUM could even
manage to set the visibility map bit for a relevant heap page inside
lazy_vacuum_heap_page(), before the index-only scan can read the
visibility map. If that is allowed to happen, the index-only would
give wrong answers if one of the TID references held in local memory
by the index-only scan happens to be marked LP_UNUSED inside
lazy_vacuum_heap_page(). IOW, it looks like we run the risk of a
concurrently recycled dead-to-everybody TID becoming visible during
GiST index-only scans, just because we have no interlock.

In summary:

UUIC this is only safe for nbtree because 1.) It acquires a
super-exclusive lock when vacuuming leaf pages, and 2.) Index-only
scans never drop their pin on the leaf page when accessing the
visibility map "in-sync" with the scan (of course we hope not to
access the heap proper at all for index-only scans). These precautions
are both necessary to make the race condition I describe impossible,
because they ensure that VACUUM cannot reach lazy_vacuum_heap_page()
until after our index-only scan reads the visibility map (and then has
to read the heap for at least that one dead-to-all TID, discovering
that the TID is dead to its snapshot). Why wouldn't GiST need to take
the same precautions, though?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/index-locking.html
--
Peter Geoghegan