Re: [UNVERIFIED SENDER] Re: pg_upgrade can result in early wraparound on databases with high transaction load

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: [UNVERIFIED SENDER] Re: pg_upgrade can result in early wraparound on databases with high transaction load
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 11:53 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> > Sure enough, 8.4's pg_controldata doesn't print anything about
> > oldestXID, because that info wasn't there then.
> >
> > Given the lack of field complaints, it's probably not worth trying
> > to do anything to restore that capability.  But we really ought to
> > update pg_upgrade's code and docs in pre-v15 branches to say that
> > the minimum supported source version is 9.0.
>

> So it's taken us a year to discover the issue :-(

I'm not surprised at all, given the history here. There were at least
a couple of bugs affecting how pg_upgrade carries forward information
about these cutoffs. See commits 74cf7d46 and a61daa14.

Actually, commit 74cf7d46 was where pg_resetxlog/pg_resetwal's -u
argument was first added, for use by pg_upgrade. That commit is only
about a year old, and was only backpatched to 9.6. Unfortunately the
previous approach to carrying forward oldestXID was an accident that
usually worked. So...yeah, things are bad here. At least we now have
the ability to detect any downstream problems that this might cause by
using pg_amcheck.

--
Peter Geoghegan