Re: [HACKERS] Error while copying a large file in pg_rewind

От Kuntal Ghosh
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Error while copying a large file in pg_rewind
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 8:51 PM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh.2007@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> But, I'm little concerned/doubt regarding the following part of the code.
>>> +/*
>>> + * Converts an int64 from network byte order to native format.
>>> + */
>>> +static int64
>>> +pg_recvint64(int64 value)
>>> +{
>>> +   union
>>> +   {
>>> +       int64   i64;
>>> +       uint32  i32[2];
>>> +   } swap;
>>> +   int64   result;
>>> +
>>> +   swap.i64 = value;
>>> +
>>> +   result = (uint32) ntohl(swap.i32[0]);
>>> +   result <<= 32;
>>> +   result |= (uint32) ntohl(swap.i32[1]);
>>> +
>>> +   return result;
>>> +}
>>> Does this always work correctly irrespective of the endianess of the
>>> underlying system?
>>
>> I think this will have problem, we may need to do like
>>
>> and reverse complete array if byte order is changed
>
> This comes from the the implementation of 64b-large objects, which was
> first broken on big-endian systems, until Tom fixed it with the
> following commit, and this looks fine to me:
> commit: 26fe56481c0f7baa705f0b3265b5a0676f894a94
> author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:24:32 -0400
> Code review for 64-bit-large-object patch.

Great. Besides, the logic for pg_recvint64 looks same as
fe_recvint64() defined in pg_basebackup.

I don't have any more inputs on this patch and it looks good to me.
So, I'm moving the status to ready for committer.

> At some point it would really make sense to group all things under the
> same banner (64-b LO, pg_basebackup, and now pg_rewind).

+1. Implementation-wise, I prefer pg_recvint64 to fe_recvint64.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Kuntal Ghosh

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Postgres process invoking exit resulting in sh-QUIT core
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Error while copying a large file in pg_rewind