Re: Creating complex track changes database - challenge!

От Łukasz Jarych
Тема Re: Creating complex track changes database - challenge!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Guys,

I have idea already for creating this complex solution.

Please give your notes and tips if you have.

1. Keep all changes within table including:
-adding rows
-deleting
-editing

This can be managed by adding triggers and one additional table where you can have sum up what was changed.

2. Changing DDL of tables:

I think that creating trigger for metadata should solve the problem. How can i do it? I do not know already ...:)

3. Changing tables versioning.

It it is possible to save table (back up or something) to disc - i can check the latest date of change and save table with this date and name.
And create table with all tables changes and version.
What do you think ?

4. Still problem with creating whole database versioning.
I found very interesting link but i not understand how it is works:

Best,
Jacek

Hi Manual,
thank you very much!

Regarding your  tool - if it is not supported and it is for specific case - i will not use it but figure out something new. I do not even how to install this .hs files...

I thought about creating triggers to have all changes to specific tables.
And for each table name (or number) keep changes in one separate table.
What do you think about it?

If all you need is saving and restoring specific table states, logical dumps with pg_dump should probably be enough for your needs.

Can you explain in details how can i use it?
What if user add new column? I can save ma table for example as version 3 and come back to version 1 in the future? (without this new column?)

Best,
Jacek