Re: [GENERAL] Developer GUI tools for PostgreSQL

От Tim Uckun
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Developer GUI tools for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I don't run windows so I haven't looked at the EMS product.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 6:53 PM, vinny <vinny@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 2017-07-28 06:31, Tim Uckun wrote:
I think it's funny that after all these years pgadmin3 is still the
most comprehensive GUI for postgres.

Have you looked at EMS SQL-Manager, I don't remember PgAdmin having any where near hte features that it has :-P

Even though it's prone to
crashing on my machine and I have paid for datagrip I still reach for
it first.

It depends entirely on your personal preference, not so much on the features of the tool,
there are whole subcultures in the IT world who swear by VIM. I tend to swear *at* VIM.

But in the end it's personal preference and requirements that decide which is the best tool.
I use DbSchema because of how quickly and visually I can create tables, but I use DataGrip to execute
queries to actually manage a database, create functions, views etc.

Most tools have free preview licences so download them try them out, see what feels good to you.
Just remember that a tool is not a substitute for knowledge, knowing where to click in a GUI
is not the same as knowing how to maintain a database.