Re: Extension security improvement: Add support for extensions with an owned schema

On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 at 17:28, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I wonder if there might also be another possible approach: could
> we, somehow, prevent object references in extension scripts from
> resolving to anything other than the system catalogs and the contents
> of that extension?

This indeed does sound like the behaviour that pretty much every
existing extension wants to have. One small addition/clarification
that I would make to your definition: fully qualified references to
other objects should still be allowed.

I do think, even if we have this, there would be other good reasons to
use "owned schemas" for extension authors. At least the following two:
1. To have a safe search_path that can be used in SET search_path on a
function (see also [1]).
2. To make it easy for extension authors to avoid conflicts with other
extensions/UDFs.

> Perhaps with a control file setting to specify a
> list of trusted extensions which we're also allowed to reference?

I think we could simply use the already existing "requires" field from
the control file. i.e. you're allowed to reference only your own
extension

> I have a feeling that this might be pretty annoying to implement, and
> if that is true, then never mind.

Based on a quick look it's not trivial, but also not super bad.
Basically it seems like in src/backend/catalog/namespace.c, every time
we loop over activeSearchPath and CurrentExtensionObject is set, then
we should skip any item that's not stored in pg_catalog, unless
there's a DEPENDENCY_EXTENSION pg_depend entry for the item (and that
pg_depend entry references the extension or the requires list).

There's quite a few loops over activeSearchPath in namespace.c, but
they all seem pretty similar. So while a bunch of code would need to
be changed, the changes could probably be well encapsulated in a
function.

[1]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/00d8f046156e355ec0eb49585408bafc8012e4a5.camel%40j-davis.com#3ad66667a8073d5ef50cfe44e305c38d