Re: Partial aggregates pushdown

От Jelte Fennema-Nio
Тема Re: Partial aggregates pushdown
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 7 Jul 2024 at 23:52, Fujii.Yuki@df.MitsubishiElectric.co.jp
<Fujii.Yuki@df.mitsubishielectric.co.jp> wrote:
> My plan for advancing the patch involves the following steps:
>   Step1. Decide the approach on transmitting state value.
>   Step2. Implement code (including comments) and tests to support a subset of aggregate functions.
>     Specifically, I plan to support avg, sum, and other aggregate functions like min and max which don't need
export/importfunctions.

>   Step3. Add documentations.
>
> To clarify my approach, should I proceed with Step 3 before Step2?

(my opinion, Bruce might have a different one)

I think it's good that you split the original patch in two:
0001: non-internal partial aggregates
0002: internal partial aggregates

I think we're aligned on the general design of 0001. So I think now is
definitely the time to include documentation there, so we can discuss
this patch in more detail, and move it forward.

I think generally for 0002 it would also be useful to have
documentation, I personally like reading it to understand the general
design and then comparing that to the code. But I also understand that
the language differences between Japanese and English, makes writing
such docs a significant effort for you. So I think it would be fine to
skip docs for 0002 for now until we decide on the approach we want to
take for internal partial aggregates.