Re: Relation between parameters in postgresql.conf file!!

От Shreeyansh Dba
Тема Re: Relation between parameters in postgresql.conf file!!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 12:09 PM pavan95 <pavan.postgresdba@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have gone through the below parameters:

1. vacuum_cost_page_hit
2. vacuum_cost_page_miss
3. vacuum_cost_page_dirty

Got confused by reading them from the documentation. I am unable to
understand why the values 1, 10, 20 are assigned to them(on what basis those
values have been assigned).

Is there some relation between these parameters and the below parameters?

1. autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor=0.2(20%)
2. autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor=0.1(10%)

From the below description:

>vacuum_cost_page_hit (integer)
>The estimated cost for vacuuming a buffer found in the shared buffer cache.
It represents the cost to lock the buffer pool, lookup the shared hash table
and scan the content of the page. The default value is one
1. Does the vacuum operate on the buffer pool(memory)? Assuming it is
operated on the data files!!!
2. What does the sentence "lock the buffer pool, lookup the shared hash
table and scan the content of the page" refers to??

>vacuum_cost_page_dirty (integer)
>The estimated cost charged when vacuum modifies a block that was previously
clean. It represents the extra I/O required to flush the dirty block out to
disk again. The default value is 20.
What does actually happen here?? Why does this generate extra I/O??

What is the meaning of the sentence "It represents the extra I/O required to
flush the dirty block out to disk again"?? Why does vacuum flush the dirty
block to disk when writer process does that?

Please clarify!!!!!!  Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Pavan

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-admin-f2076596.html

От: Shreeyansh Dba
Сообщение: Re: maintenance_work_mem is it per instance or per database??
От: Rui DeSousa
Сообщение: Re: Relation between parameters in postgresql.conf file!!