Re: Uninstall postgresql completely from Linux

От Shreeyansh Dba
Тема Re: Uninstall postgresql completely from Linux
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Vivekanand Joshi <vjoshi@zetainteractive.com> wrote:
I installed postgres from postgresql-9.4.1-1-linux-x64.run file.

I want to remove postgres completely from my system. I deleted the data directory file.

Now When I am installing it again, I am getting the below output :

Welcome to the PostgreSQL Setup Wizard.

Existing installation

An existing PostgreSQL installation has been found at /home/postgres9.4.1. This
installation will be upgraded.

In order to upgrade, we may need to restart the server. All connections to the
server will need to be reestablished after the completion of the installation
process.
Press [Enter] to continue:

Please select a directory under which to store your data.

Data Directory []:

This means postgres is not completely removed. How to remove it completely because I need a fresh installation.

I uninstalled PostgreSQL by following :

[root@ZetaSearch02 postgres9.4.1]# ./uninstall-postgresql
Do you want to uninstall PostgreSQL and all of its modules? [Y/n]: Y

Uninstall Status

 Uninstalling PostgreSQL
 0% ______________ 50% ______________ 100%
 ########################################Warning: The data directory (/root/postgres/data) and service user account
(postgres) have not been removed.
Press [Enter] to continue:
#

Info: Uninstallation completed
Press [Enter] to continue:

----------

Now when I run the file again it is giving me the same output:

./postgresql-9.4.1-1-linux-x64.run
Welcome to the PostgreSQL Setup Wizard.

Existing installation

An existing PostgreSQL installation has been found at /home/postgres9.4.1. This
installation will be upgraded.

In order to upgrade, we may need to restart the server. All connections to the
server will need to be reestablished after the completion of the installation
process.
Press [Enter] to continue:
[root@ZetaSearch02 postgres]#
[root@ZetaSearch02 postgres]#
[root@ZetaSearch02 postgres]# cd /home/postgres9.4.1
-bash: cd: /home/postgres9.4.1: No such file or directory

Please let me know what to do?

Warm Regards,

Vivekanand Joshi
+919654227927

Zeta Interactive

185 Madison Ave. New York, NY 10016

www.zetainteractive.com

Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success -- Henry Ford

Hi Vivekanand Joshi,

To Uninstall PostgreSQL completely from Linux, You need to remove entries that are stored in following files

Remove 9.4.1 entries from  vi /etc/postgres-reg.ini file.

Remove /var/lib/pgsql

Remove postgresql  postgresql-8.4 services in /etc/init.d

After removing these entries try to install PostgreSQL.

And you may also delete data directory manually.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Venkataramana Aitla

Database Administrator