Re: pgadmin4 - Use classic style interface, don't launch browser?

От richard coleman
Тема Re: pgadmin4 - Use classic style interface, don't launch browser?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi Avin,

My $0.02

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 2:11 PM Avin Kavish <avinkavish@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey,

Here's some unofficial input on the topic.

This request baffles me for two reasons.

a. Why does one need a standalone window when they can have pgAdmin open in a tab while multi-tasking. Is there ever a time when the web browser is closed while using a pc in 2019? If you lose tabs you can pin the tab and it will always be on the left side.
quite often actually.  I have lots of work to do that doesn't involve a web browser.

b. If you want it to run in it's own window, you can drag and pull the tab to it's own standalone window.
pulling the tab out wouldn't do anything toward solving his problem, which revolved around password management
If that doesn't solve your problem,

You can try Nativefier but you might need to launch pgAdmin on the same port each time. It basically wraps any web site in an electron app. Electron fyi allows developing desktop apps using web technologies. It's based on chromium and nodejs and renders web apps just like google chrome would. https://github.com/jiahaog/nativefier
 so he would need to install nodejs, npm, nativefier, either open a command line/terminal every time he wants to start pgAdmin4 or write a batch/shell script to start it.  He would also have to remember to start the pgAdmin server separately and forget about using the "New pgAdmin window" function.  To add insult to injury, he'd have to have separate scripts/commands if he should want a tray icon or to run it full screen.

Or if you are a javascript developer you can write an electron app yourself to encapsulate and extend upon the current functionality. https://electronjs.org/
so, your final suggestion is that, if he's a javascript developer he could simply write his own program to fix a perceived pgAdmin4 shortcoming.
Personally, I find it convenient to have it as a tab while reading docs and other stuff and often prefer it to switching to my IDE.

I'm glad that you find the current set up convenient, unfortunately it seems like this is a problem for at least Mark and tutiluren.
Once again, this is unofficial. I'm not part of the team.
neither am I.

Personally I have my own issues with the decision to write pgAdmin4 as a web app running in it's own self contained web server.  However I don't think that there is much of a desire among the official dev team to change this.

rik.
Regards,
Avin