Re: Windows testing required: Updated runtime

От Ashesh Vashi
Тема Re: Windows testing required: Updated runtime
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Mike Surcouf <mikes@surcouf.co.uk> wrote:

>No - PostgreSQL builds on Windows dropped GSSAPI in favour of SSPI some years ago. That functionality is provided by the underlying libpq, not pgAdmin - though pgAdmin 1.6 does allow you to specify the host address as >well as hostname/address which many people need with Kerberos for example.

Not sure I understand this.

Windows works fine with gssapi (the server is on a linux box).

I make gssapi connections all the time with npgsql library and the web version of pgadmin and terminal software so I don’t have to use passwords.

It just doesn’t seem to work with the desktop version of pgadmin.

We rely entirely on libpq to handle this side of things, which means we're reliant on how it was built on a particular platform. On Windows, GSSAPI was dropped in favour of SSPI many years ago. I'm not familiar with either though, so I can't say what will or won't work - just that if it works with libpq on Windows, it should work with pgAdmin.

>Before Webpack patch:-

>It took ~20 seconds. This 20 seconds includes when user double click on application ( timing of python server start + page load )

So Neel also gets 20 second start up (before webpack) .  At least it’s not just me.  I look forward to having those 7 secs.

He is on a virtual machine though.
And - running a debug version of pgAdmin 4. :-)

-- Thanks, Ashesh

On a more positive note I do find the browsing of nodes and retrieving table SQL seems to be snappier in 1.6.

Yes, I've found that. As it turns out, we're actually not using the ActiveQT port that Neel worked on. It looks like Qt (or the fork of QtWebKit we use) fixed the underlying issue.

>Will there be a web install package.

What I meant was will there be a pgadmin4-v1-web package update.

Oh, right - yeah, Devrim was working on that earlier today.

Oh and as an aside I think you made the right decision going with a web app.  It’s definitely the future .

After these performance problems have been addressed.

It’s not easy creating a feature rich web app and I appreciate all the work you guys have done on this.

Thank you.

Just keep an open mind that your end users may have issues you don’t.  There are so many environmental factors to consider.

Oh, after over 20 years in IT support and software development, I've become painfully aware of that :-).

Mike