Re: PATCH: Debugger Redesign

От Ashesh Vashi
Тема Re: PATCH: Debugger Redesign
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Dave,

Please find the patch to resolve few of the problems with the debuggers and introduced during redesigning it.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Thanks Ashesh - committed (with a few minor tweaks, mostly to messages)! Good work :-)
Thanks

I think we have the following issues to discuss and possibly resolve during beta:

1) I find the progress dialogue annoying, and as discussed previously think we should replace it with a progress indicator on the status bar.
Yeah - I am aware of that.
I will work on it once I get some time.

2) I don't see RAISE DEBUG messages in the server message pane. Perhaps we should explicitly set client_min_messages so the user can see their debug messages?
Yup
Done.

3) The stack pane shows functions as "foo(integer)(param_name=1)@<line>". I think perhaps we should change it to: "foo(integer param_name=1)@<line>"
+1

OK, please make those tweaks when you work on the progress indicator (or before, if you get a chance).

4) When in-process debugging, if the calling process is terminated we get a connection lost error (which I special-cased in the code, as it displays an unsightly message from the plugin by default). Instead, I think we should just automatically start listening for another calling process.
The problem is: this error message is coming from backend (debugger plugin).
And hence, it may require us to make changes in the plugin.

Shouldn't do - don't we just need to reset the breakpoint and wait for it to be hit again? FYI, the old code does seem to do it successfully, though it doesn't do a good job of ensuring the dialogues are re-displayed.
It was ignore any error in the debugging connection (even if it is a connection error or something else).
I will come up with some other way to figure out the same. (I will also take care of this, when doing the modification for the progress bar. Hope - that's ok with everybody).
Done.
Now - we check for the session (backend) on which the target was running, if it does not exist, we wait for another session to invoke the target.

Also - resolved couple of other problem related to the debugger:
- On cancellation of progress dialog, it was not closing the debugger.
- In direct debugging, the target was invoked without taking care about quotes.

This patch also includes couple of other issues introduced by the earlier patch.
1. Showing the messages multiple times in the message window (Query window)
2. Cancellation of query wasn't working on Query window.

Still working on the progress-bar.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page