Re: PATCH: Debugger Redesign

От Ashesh Vashi
Тема Re: PATCH: Debugger Redesign
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Thanks Ashesh - committed (with a few minor tweaks, mostly to messages)! Good work :-)
Thanks

I think we have the following issues to discuss and possibly resolve during beta:

1) I find the progress dialogue annoying, and as discussed previously think we should replace it with a progress indicator on the status bar.
Yeah - I am aware of that.
I will work on it once I get some time.

2) I don't see RAISE DEBUG messages in the server message pane. Perhaps we should explicitly set client_min_messages so the user can see their debug messages?
Yup

3) The stack pane shows functions as "foo(integer)(param_name=1)@<line>". I think perhaps we should change it to: "foo(integer param_name=1)@<line>"
+1

OK, please make those tweaks when you work on the progress indicator (or before, if you get a chance).

4) When in-process debugging, if the calling process is terminated we get a connection lost error (which I special-cased in the code, as it displays an unsightly message from the plugin by default). Instead, I think we should just automatically start listening for another calling process.
The problem is: this error message is coming from backend (debugger plugin).
And hence, it may require us to make changes in the plugin.

Shouldn't do - don't we just need to reset the breakpoint and wait for it to be hit again? FYI, the old code does seem to do it successfully, though it doesn't do a good job of ensuring the dialogues are re-displayed.
It was ignore any error in the debugging connection (even if it is a connection error or something else).
I will come up with some other way to figure out the same. (I will also take care of this, when doing the modification for the progress bar. Hope - that's ok with everybody).

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com