Re: Database archive solutions

От Craig James
Тема Re: Database archive solutions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:21 AM, Gnanakumar <gnanam@zoniac.com> wrote:
Hi,

Our application requirement demands archiving of records, so that
performance/speed of the application is not compromised.  So, am looking
out/evaluating on various techniques/solutions available for database
archiving, in general, for PostgreSQL.

Your question isn't specific enough.  What does "not compromised" mean?  Every technique for archiving records has some impact on some part of your system.  Is a 0.1% impact too much?  A 1% impact?  A 10% impact?  A factor of 2 slowdown?

Do you need real-time archiving, a few minutes delay, or once a month backup?

Do you need a hot standby or records that can be retrieved in a few hours?

You have to describe your needs completely before you can get a meaningful answer.

Craig

Few solutions that comes to my mind are:

    1) Table partitioning
    2) Separate tablespace and/or schema
    3) Moving archived records/tables to a different harddisk

Any other suggestions/pointers/solutions are really welcome and appreciated.

NOTE: We're running PostgreSQL v9.1.3 on CentOS5.2

Regards,
Gnanam