Re: select exact term

От Craig James
Тема Re: select exact term
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Marc Fromm <Marc.Fromm@wwu.edu> wrote:

Is there a way to create a select statement that will select a record if the exact term is found in a field that contains the text to describe something?

If I create a select statement using WHERE description LIKE ‘art’ I get every record that has words like depart, start and so on.

If I create a select statement using WHERE description = ‘art’ I get no results even though the word art is in some records description field.

Use a regular expression instead of LIKE, and the left- and right-word-boundary expressions (see section 9.7 of the Postgres manual):

db=> select 'the quick brown fox' ~ '[[:<:]]brown[[:>:]]';
 ?column?

=> select 'the quick brown fox' ~ '[[:<:]]own[[:>:]]';
 ?column?

Craig