Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?

От Craig James
Тема Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Payal Singh <payal@omniti.com> wrote:
Not sure how/why you didn't get my reply:

If your offsite backup server has enough space to accommodate all backups that your retention period requires, backing up WAL archives is always a good idea as it could not only help you restore the standalone database, but also allow you to set up a slave if need be.

Another way to think about it would be a backup without WAL files would be ideally just a base backup, while the one with WAL files will give you point in time recovery. It all depends on what you want your backups to be used for.

Thanks, I did get your reply, but it didn't answer my question.  I don't want anything but a single point-in-time snapshot of a stopped database. (I have good reasons for this decision.)

After I rsync the postgres data directory, do I need the WAL files from the source (they're on a separate disk, not part of the postgres data directory)?  Can/should  I erase the WAL directory of the destination?

Thanks,
Craig

Payal Singh,
OmniTi Computer Consulting Inc.