Re: What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG

От Craig James
Тема Re: What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Arnold, Sandra <ArnoldS@osti.gov> wrote:
Tablelog would be ok for keeping up with transactions for tables.  However, we also need to audit who connects successfully and unsuccessfully.  As far as I am aware, if a user fails to log in successfully, say three times, PostgreSQL is not able to lock the account for 9.0.  Is this the case for 9.1 as well?

This is off topic for your question, but locking an account after a small number of failures is a bad security practice.  It's an invitation for a denial-of-service attack.  Anyone who knows anyone else's account name can lock them out.  Anyone who gets a list of accounts can lock up the whole system.

Craig

 This is the version that I will be installing that I am writing the Security controls for.  There are several events that I have to Audit and table transactions are just a small part of it.  The events I need to audit are listed below:

- Unauthorized User Access
- Changes to User Privileges
- Changes to Audit Policy
- Reset User Password
- New User created in Database
- Users dropped from Database
- Invalid Login Attempts

Sandra Arnold
Senior Database Administrator
Contractor to DOE/OSTI
Information International Associates (IIA)