Re: Better I/O throughput? (was Re: create tablespace - cannot runinside a transaction block)

От Avin Kavish
Тема Re: Better I/O throughput? (was Re: create tablespace - cannot runinside a transaction block)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
In reply to the original question being raised about an RDS instance, afaik, there's no need to do tablespaces on RDS as IOPS is provisioned as requested, the actual hardware implementation is abstracted away and irrelevant.

On Thu., 26 Sep. 2019, 1:10 am Ron, <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/25/19 2:16 PM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-09-25 at 14:50 +0000, Pepe TD Vo wrote:
>> Normally, in Oracle we need to create database, tablespace then
>> username/schema and tables, objects, etc...
>>
>> is the procedure as same as in Postgres?  I see the login and schema
>> are totally different in Postgres.
> No, normally you don't create tablespaces in PostgreSQL.
> They are a few use cases for them, but not many.

Do I/O requests in the Linux kernel get "backlogged" when they all hit the
same device?  Or would you get better throughput (or less latency) by
spreading the load across multiple devices?

(A long-running synchronous IO request seems it would block everything
behind it, whereas objects in tablespaces on different devices could still
be queried.)