Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> Alright, I spent some time implementing a patch to allow specifying
> -infinity and +infinity in arbitrary ways.  Of course, it prevents
> nonsensical inputs with appropriate error messages.

I don't think -infinity and +infinity are the right terms. For a
string or character data type there is no -infinity and +infinity.
Similarly for enums. We need to extend UNBOUNDED somehow to indicate
the end of a given type in the given direction. I thought about
UNBOUNDED LEFT/RIGHT but then whether LEFT indicates -ve side or +side
would cause confusion. Also LEFT/RIGHT may work for a single
dimensional datatype but not for multi-dimensional spaces. How about
MINIMUM/MAXIMUM or UNBOUNDED MIN/MAX to indicate the extremities.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat