Re: raw output from copy

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: raw output from copy
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

Sorry for my late response.

I've briefly checked a series of discussion in the past.
I understood the target/purpose of this patch is provision of a fast interface
to import/export a particular cell of a relation, by skip of text<->binary
transformation. Its typical use case are XML and JSON data types. Right?

There are more goals:

1. user friendly import of text or binary data - import text data (with psql) from file is possible - but you have to load a content to psql variable. For binary data you should to use workaround based on LO and transformation from LO to bytea.

2. user friendly export text or binary data - now, the binary data can be exported only via transformation to LO. The XML has very interesting features when is passing from/to client binary. This feature is impossible in psql now.

If so, how about the idea to use fast-path invocation protocol to call functions
to import/export these document types?
It allows to accept binary form of the data stream, with minimum overheads.

Sorry, I don't see a sense - for Fast API I have to write a application - and then I can write a application with support of binary passing.

It seems to me extend of COPY statement for this optimization is a bit overkill
solution. Do we find out an alternative solution that we can build on
the existing
infrastructure?

The advantage and sense of COPY RAW was reusing existing interface. The question was: How I can export/import binary data simply from psql console?

Regards

Pavel

Best regards,

--