Re: dropdb --force

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: dropdb --force
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

st 18. 9. 2019 v 5:59 odesílatel vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> napsal:
On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 8:30 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Pavel,

One Comment:
In the documentation we say drop database will fail after 60 seconds
  <varlistentry>
    <listitem>
     <para>
      Attempt to terminate all existing connections to the target database.
     </para>
     <para>
      This will fail, if current user has no permissions to terminate other
      connections. Required permissions are the same as with
      <literal>pg_terminate_backend</literal>, described
      in <xref linkend="functions-admin-signal"/>.

      This will also fail, if the connections do not terminate in 60 seconds.
     </para>
    </listitem>
   </varlistentry>

This is not valid. With FORCE flag the clients are closed immediately

But in TerminateOtherDBBackends:
foreach (lc, pids)
+ {
+ int pid = lfirst_int(lc);
+
+ (void) kill(pid, SIGTERM); /* ignore any error */
+ }
+
+ /* sleep 100ms */
+ pg_usleep(100 * 1000L);
+ }

We check for any connected backends after sending kill signal in
CountOtherDBBackends and throw error immediately.

I had also tested this scenario to get the following error immediately:
test=# drop database (force) test1;
ERROR:  database "test1" is being accessed by other users
DETAIL:  There is 1 other session using the database.

sure - you cannot to kill self

I feel some change is required to keep documentation and code in sync.

I am waiting to Tom's reply about necessary rights. But the doc part is not synced, and should be fixed.

Pavel

Regards,
Vignesh