Re: Does people favor to have matrix data type?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Does people favor to have matrix data type?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

In a few days, I'm working for a data type that represents matrix in
mathematical area. Does people favor to have this data type in the core,
not only my extension?

Like oidvector or int2vector, it is one of array type with a few
restrictions:
 - 2 dimensional only
 - never contains NULL
 - element type is real or float
 - no lower bounds of array

A vector in mathematic is a special case of matrix; either 1xN or Nx1.

We can define various operators between matrix/scalar, like:
  matrix + matrix -> matrix
  matrix - scalar -> matrix
  matrix * matrix -> matrix
  transform(matrix) -> matrix
         :

How about people's thought?

It is far to data processing - so it should be placed in PGXN.

Regards

Pavel

If overall consensus is welcome to have, I'll set up a patch.

Thanks,
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>