Re: sizing / capacity planning tipps related to expected request or transactions per second

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: sizing / capacity planning tipps related to expected request or transactions per second
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi

po 24. 8. 2020 v 18:40 odesílatel Dirk Krautschick <Dirk.Krautschick@trivadis.com> napsal:
Hi,

are there any nice rules of thumb about capacity planning in relation the expected
amount of transactions or request per second?

For example, if I have around 100 000 transactions per second on a 5 TB database.
With what amount of Memory and CPUs/Cores and which settings would you basically
Start to evaluate the performance.

You have to know the duration of a typical query - if it is 1ms, then one cpu can do 1000 tps and you need 100 cpu. If duration is 10 ms, then you need 1000 cpu.

as minimum RAM for OLTP is 10% of database size, in your case 500GB RAM.

Any time, when I see a request higher than 20-30K tps, then it is good to think about horizontal scaling or about sharding.

Regards

Pavel

Or are there any other recommendations or experiences here?

Thanks and best regards

Dirk