Re: Big number of connections

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Big number of connections
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Il 04/04/2016 15:33, Pavel Stehule ha scritto:

PostgreSQL doesn't contain integrated pooler - so any connection to Postgres enforces one PostgreSQL proces. A performance benchmarks is showing maximum performance about 10x cores.  With high number of connections you have to use low size of work_mem, what enforces can have negative impact on performance too. Too high number of active PostgreSQL processes increase a risk of performance problems with spin locks, etc.

:-O
I wasn't absolutely aware of this thing... is there a way to monitor active connections, or at least to report when they grow too much?
(say, I have an 8-core system and want to track down if, and when, active connections grow over 80)

100 connections are probably ok, 200 is over the optimum - there is some tolerance.

We are speaking about optimum - I had possibility to work with system where max connections was 300, 600 - and it was working. But then the max_connection doesn't work as safeguard against overloading. And the system under higher load can be pretty slow.

Regards

Pavel

Thanks
Moreno.-