Re: [HACKERS] psql - add special variable to reflect the last query status

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql - add special variable to reflect the last query status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hello Pavel,

We can introduce macro SetVariableBool(vars, varname, bool) instead

 SetVariable(pset.vars, "ERROR", "FALSE");

I checked source code, and it requires little bit more harder refactoring
because now we have SetVariableBool - what is unhappy name, because it
initialize variable to ON value. It is question what is better name?

The boolean values (on/off 1/0 true/false...) accepted for pg settings is probably convenient but also somehow fuzzy.

From a programming point of view, I like booleans to have either true or false values, and nothing else.

I agree that the existing "SetVariableBool" function is a misnommer, it should be "SetVariableOn" given what it does, and it is not what we need.

switching default setting from ON to TRUE requires wider discussion - in this moment I like to have special function "SetVariableON".

Here is a v4 which attempts to extend & reuse the function. People might be surprised that TRUE is used where ON was used before, so I'm not sure.

I found more interesting issue - the code of  SetResultVariables is
partially redundant with AcceptResult - maybe the switch there can be
shared.

I agree that there is some common structure, but ISTM that the AcceptResult function is called in a variety of situation where variables are not to be set (eg "internal" queries, not user provided queries), so I thought it best to keep the two apart.

I understand, but It is not nice, really  - maybe only switch can be moved to some inlining function  like IsSuccess() - more .. with this function, the SetResultVariables function will be more cleaner

Regards

Pavel

--
Fabien.